SONA is a multi-award-winning luxury home technology company based in Cheshire, and a CEDIA Member of Excellence. Our projects are primarily fully integrated luxury systems and cinema rooms in the North West of the UK with some projects across the country and abroad.
SONA are looking to recruit our next engineering stars, representing the SONA brand in the field. This role is far more than engineering; where attitude, approach and work ethic is everything.
A natural trouble-shooter with a proactive, approachable and helpful personality who wants to be part of a brand dedicated to continuous improvement and impeccable standards.
You have a talent for trouble-shooting with an analytical mind and a methodical, considered approach.
You notice potential issues and challenges ahead of time, because your mind quickly works through a process in order to identify gaps or barriers.
You are confident when asking questions in order to get the exact information you need to resolve issues.
You are calm under pressure, and always able to analyse clearly what’s in front of you and be able to communicate that in layman’s terms.
You thrive under pressure and achieve satisfaction from getting to the bottom of an issue.
You find it cathartic to work your way through a problem, systematically testing and checking each point, and methodically recording what you have done.
This is a full-time position. The role of a SONA Service Engineer is to ensure our clients feel supported and informed, and that any issues are dealt with in a prompt and efficient manner.
Your work with clients will build on and reinforce the trust and confidence in the SONA brand, giving them the reassurance that they and their system are supported during and beyond the initial delivery and handover.
The work you carry out contributes to our reputation, and the perception of SONA by our clients, partners and other trades – we want you to be proud of being part of that team and confident that clients know they can depend on SONA.
Your work will include the following:
- Supporting existing clients with updates, small works, call outs and health checks.
- Supporting new clients with existing (non-SONA) systems and providing feedback to the engineering and management teams.
- Sharing of out-of-hours (18:00 – 22:00) support provision on a weekly rota.
- Diagnosis of issues over the phone, alongside project documentation and our remote monitoring platform.
- Close coordination with the Support Coordinator to bring all issues to a conclusion.
- Providing updates and reports to Support Coordinator or other relevant members of the team, clients and project partners.
- Following SONA internal processes and procedures and contributing to their ongoing review and improvement.
- Liaising with other departments to ensure a clear flow and progression of works.
- Commitment to safe working practices and maintaining Health and Safety requirements.
- When not engaged directly in support tasks or associated works, you will also act as an installation engineer, whose work includes the following:
– Installation and commissioning of home automation equipment including but not limited to:
– Infrastructure cabling and termination.
– Network routers, switches and wireless access points.
– Lighting processors, modules, interfaces and keypads.
– Intercom and entry systems.
– Audio processors, amplifiers and switchers.
– Video processors, switchers and transmission equipment.
– Various forms of speakers.
– Various forms of display devices such as televisions and projectors.
– Lighting processors, modules, interfaces and keypads.
– Integrated control processors, modules and user interfaces.
Essential Experience and Qualities
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the custom installation industry, in the high-end residential or marine sector.
- Outstanding trouble-shooting skills and experience.
- Adaptable and able to quickly prioritize tasks.
- Able to direct the Support Coordinator so that resources and/or equipment are always available when required.
- The ability to ask (and answer) the right questions in order to analyse and recommend the best possible solutions for clients. Not necessarily just the quickest and easiest!
- The ability to reverse engineer and document existing systems to provide detailed site reports that the engineering and management teams can use to determine the best way to support clients who don’t have a SONA system.
- Experience in cable termination and rack building. Photographs showing examples of your work is required.
- Experience in home automation, networking, lighting and audio video systems such as Crestron, Control4, Cisco, Lutron, Ruckus, SONOS, Wyrestorm.
- The capability to read, understand and translate technical drawings including layouts, schedules and schematics and not be afraid to ask for clarity when needed.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Strong trouble-shooting skills, with the ability to analyse and reflect to determine the best possible solution for clients, not necessarily the quickest and easiest option
- The willingness to stick with things until they are ‘done right’ not just ‘done’.
- High personal standards of presentation and the desire to ensure cleanliness, tidiness and safety standards are upheld.
- Approachable, yet professional with an extra mile mentality towards everything you do.
- Team player, who takes an interest in what’s happening around them and is always looking for the opportunity to progress and be recognised as a valued member of the team.
- Excellent time management, organisational skills and the ability to prioritise tasks.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and go above and beyond when needed.
- Full clean UK driving license.
The following experience is all advantageous but not essential
- Familiarity with Domotz remote management and monitoring platform.
- Familiarity with D-Tools System Integrator software.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Visio software.
- Lutron Homeworks programming certification.
- Crestron system programming course (all levels).
- Control4 Automation Programmer Certification.
- Knowledge of advanced networking concepts such as subnets, CIDR notation and VLANs, and configuration on Draytek, Netgear, Ruckus and Cisco Meraki equipment.
Part of the interview process will involve a practical assessment of your physical installation techniques, approach and problem solving abilities.
Sounds interesting? We’re looking for exceptional people to join our team and we want to hear from you.
Stand out from the crowd by sending your CV with a cover letter, photographs of your work and why you’re an outstanding trouble-shooter.
Email your CV & cover letter to email@example.com by the 28th of May.